Skip to main content
Please wait...

High Court

History of Establishment

A Supreme Court with unlimited civil and criminal jurisdiction, consisting of a High Court and a Court of Appeal, was established under the Federation of Malaya Agreement 1948.

 

The Supreme Court was replaced by the Federal Court and three High Courts of coordinate jurisdiction, namely the High Court in Malaya, the High Court in Singapore and the High Court in the Borneo Scates. Aer Singapore's departure from Malaysia on 9 August 1965, only the High Court in Malaya and the High court in the Borneo States remain.

 

The High Court in Malaya and the High Court in Sabah and Sarawak are each presided ouer by the Chief Justice of the respective Court. Their respective designation was changed to "Chief Judge" by the amendments made to the Federal Constitution (Amendment) Act 1994.

 

Initially the High Court in Malaya consisted of the Chief of Justoce (now Chied Judge) and not less than 4 and not more than 2 other judges. The High Court in Sabah and  Sarawak consisted of the Chief Justice (now Chief Judge) and has less than 4 and not more than 8 othger judges. parliament was given the power to increase the number of judges.

 

According to the Article 122A of the Federal Constitution, the presend maximum of judges is 60 foir the High Court in Malaya and 13 for the High Court in Sabah and Sarawaka. Additionally, Judicial Commissioners have been appointed over the years, fro both High Cours to facilitate the disposal of case.